Friday, December 9, 2011

Jars in Heels

I was trying to decide why I love apothecary jars and cake stands and I realized it has everything to do with my love of fashion and high heels. Don't get me wrong, I love a pair of ballet flats as much as the next girl, but there are times when you have to have a seriously killer pair of heels. It's like how mason jars are so warm, homey and can totally strike the right tone. For special occasions, however, your mason jars need some heels! Enter these totally easy jars. My friend Leanna, did some awhile back and I did some plain black, but thought they needed a Christmas makeover! You will need the following
Unfinished wooden candlesticks (in different heights if desired)
4x4 square or round plaques
3 inch wooden disks
jars (mine were 6 inches)
E-6000 glue
acrylic paint in base color and one metallic
sponge brush
butter knife

Before you paint your pieces you will need to either bend in or remove the metal shell in the candlestick. Sometimes they pop out and sometimes they won't budge, its fine either way as long as the metal is bent in and the top of your jar can sit evenly. Then go ahead and paint all your pieces (candlesticks, disks, plaques) and let them dry, it may take a couple of coats. I took a gold acrylic paint and dipped a paper towel in it and rubbed it all over, wiping it off as I went. It created a really subtle glazed look.
Then apply E-6000 to the bottom of your candlestick and place it in the middle of your plaque. Let it set for an hour, it may still move so be careful. The great thing about this glue if you haven't used it is that once it is set it is like cement! Then glue a disk to the top of your candlestick and finally add your jar. I flipped mine over and let them dry overnight.

I found the cute reindeer bells at Walmart and thought they would be cute toppers. I glued around the edge and centered them. You are done! My other jars were ones I had done for a church Christmas Party last week. I cut out cardboard stars and ripped some so the bumpy part showed and just painted them gold and silver. Then tied them with twine or ribbon. They were cheap and easy. I am now thinking of all the other things that would be cute on the top of these jars. . . .. . . and oh yeah. . . . . . the dollhouse is sort of an issue. . . . . . . . . . .

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea. Now if only I could find the time..... hmmm where is it?? lol LoVE!

    ReplyDelete